Bon appetit, Baby Fishmouth!

"Wonderful!"  This movie was great.  Good for Nora Ephron.  Good for Meryl Streep - she (of course) kills it!  Good for Amy Adams for being utterly likeable and adorable all the damn time.

My Favorite Nora Ephron Films In Order:


  • When Harry Met Sally - 
  • Sleepless in Seattle (tied for first)
  • Julie & Julia 
  • You've Got Mail
  • Bewitched

I just can't decide between my top two.  I consider both classics, near perfect romantic comedies.  I like Tom Hanks more than Billy Crystal, but I love the supporting cast of "When Harry Met Sally."  The Pictionary game makes me laugh out loud every viewing.  I do like "You've Got Mail" but I'm not sure I should, and "Bewitched" is good, not great, but has one of my favorite lines in any movie.

Julie & Julia is a better film than Ephron has made in years.  I loved how it switched time periods with little visual cues, for example, the heroines use the same orange pot.  I loved both couples, especially their strong supportive husbands.  Also, I will admit to cooking tofu with butter, instead of my usual olive oil, after watching this movie, I wouldn't recommend it.

I can't help thinking about the other Nora Ephron movies I really love, how they revolve around writers and each film keeps up with current technology.  Meg Ryan's character in "You've Got Mail" owns a bookstore, loves "Pride and Prejudice," and writes a children's book after her store closes.   The characters Annie and Sally are both journalists.  Sally writes for The New Yorker,  while Annie is a reporter for the Baltimore Sun.  Nicole Kidman plays a witch turned actress - she does not fit in with this observation.  Ignore her.  Amy Adams plays a would-be writer who starts a blog which is eventually published.  Which leads me to the thing about technology and Ephron.  She keeps up pretty well.

Julia Child's has a pen pal she's never met in person but has corresponded with for years. Forty years later, 1989 era NYC, Sally's love grows through autumn walks in Central Park and late-night phone conversations.  Four years after that we find Annie in her sweats and French braid plugging away on her typewriter compelled to make contact with a stranger's voice heard only on the radio.  Enter the Internet and AOL in 1998, who provide the ultimate modern twist on an old story - love through (dial-up) instant messages. Times change and forms of communication change with it.  Blogs are common and instant forms of expression - anyone can have one, not just the pros.  Julie Powell's blog became a best-selling book and who else but Nora could have translated it so well into film?