"Dead Until Dark" - Charlaine Harris - 2001



So, I went on a total bender at the library. I decided I wanted to read the Sookie Stackhouse books, because people have been telling me I would love "True Blood" - the HBO show based on the Charlaine Harris mystery novels. So, I checked out every one I could find, and went out and bought the first installment, "Dead Until Dark." I finished the novel the night before I borrowed the show on DVD from a friend. I see many hours being consumed in the next week or two, well who am I kidding, I got the DVD on Monday, and I'm already on episode 6! It's sweet, it follows the first book, but adds a great character in Tara, Sookie's best friend, and rounds out some people only mentioned in the novel, like the flamboyant short order cook Lafayette. It's graphic and dark, but still surprisingly funny. I'm hooked.