Private Arrangements - Sherry Thomas 2008



This book came out last year to a lot of Internet hype, including glowing reviews and tons of threads on Internet message boards. I am usually too cheap to buy books at full cost, especially one by a new author, so let me tell you I was pumped to find "Private Arrangements" at Goodwill last week. I actually feel like there isn't much more I can add to what has already been said - but here are some of my thoughts.

This was an angsty novel that is set over a 10 year time period told partially with flashbacks. Thomas has a deft hand, the time changes made sense to tell the complete story and were not hard to follow. Typically I'm not a fan of long separations in romance novels, but the way this story is told, you never feel like the hero and heroine spent a decade apart. A few minor issues for me include thinking the name "Gigi" is annoying. (It's not Leslie Caron's fault, I blame Gilmore Girls!) And the leads are not always likable in this book. The heroine was mercenary, but the hero was the one who was mean and vindictive. And obviously they're a very stubborn pair - it's the premise of the book. Although these characters marry young and quickly, I find it difficult to believe the misunderstanding was enough to keep them apart for as long as it did. (There is a nice missed chance about halfway through their time apart, but even 5 years is a long time). In theory, Camden wouldn't have returned to England until he needed an heir, or not at all - if Gigi hadn't petitioned for divorce first. Which leads me to another pet peeve, adultery - which I guess is understandable in the case of a 10 year separation, but it usually takes me out of the story. I do credit the author for her rather modern approach to relationships by allowing Gigi to take lovers instead of pining away and going without for a decade because her husband left her. I'd much rather see both parties involved in other relationships than just the husband living it up with one or more mistresses while his wife is expected to remain pure, true, and well, unsatisfied.

I feel kind of bad about picking this story apart - Thomas has managed to cause a stir and back it up with strong narrative and characters with depth. I did not love this book, and I can't say it's a keeper for me, but I do consider "Private Arrangements" a very successful debut with one of the most elegant covers I've seen in a long time. Plus Thomas credits bloggers and the Internet with her success, and talks as herself on message boards, which is undeniably cool to be on a personal level with readers. I look forward to hearing more from her and hope to find "Delicious" at the Goodwill soon.