FROM MY KEEPER SHELF

THE OUTSIDER - PENELOPE WILLIAMSON - 1996



Sometimes even historical romances pull from contemporary sources. "The Outsider" the story of an injured gunfighter finding solace and love with a widow in a "Plain" (i.e. Amish) community, seems to pull a lot from the Harrison Ford movie, "Witness." Even if this was not Ms. Williamson's intention, one cannot help remembering that movie, especially the forbidden romance aspects, like that dance in the barn. Hell yeah.

Anyway, "The Outsider" takes place at the end of the 1800's Montana and is told from many points of view, with one major exception. We hear very little about what the hero is thinking and feeling. We know all about several secondary characters including an alcoholic doctor, the prostitute who loves him, the rebellious Plain boy who loses his virginity to said prostitute, and a lot from the heroine, Rachel Yoder and some from her 9 year old son, Benjo. I'm not bothered by the amount of page time that is given to characters who aren't the leads, because it really does tie the story together. I just wish you knew more of what the hero is feeling throughout the book. It does make him more mysterious, and essentially you the reader know as little as the heroine. I just wish you knew he was in love, not lust before he comes right out and says it. "The Outsider" may bother some readers, even though it is not in first person POV for that very reason.

Romance readers may already know, "The Outsider" was made into a TV movie starring Tim Daly (from Wings) and Naomi Watts (yes, that Naomi Watts).



I saw it once on the Hallmark channel several years ago. I think I liked it, and from what I've read about it online recently, women really loved Tim Daly with facial hair...

Movie adaptations of romances are very tricky things, you either have the overly sappy Christian ones (which can still be good) or the Danielle Steele ones, which I don't read - so why would I watch?

I first read "The Outsider" several years ago, but never owned it. I bought it not long a ago, and this is the first I've re-read it. I don't think my reaction to the book is as strong as it was then, but I still enjoyed it, even if I did wish for more from the hero.