THIS AFTERNOON



Connie Brockway has two books on my keeper shelf, and I bought "Promise Me Heaven" because I confused it with "My Dearest Enemy'. Three word titles, I guess. It's been sitting in my TBR box for quite a while now, I pulled it out yesterday and finished it in practically one sitting today. It was Brockway's debut novel (you can tell by the cover) but all in all, pretty impressive. It has a larger scope than many regency-set historicals (the war, travel and escape from Paris) without getting too caught up in plot devices. Yes, this book has flaws, but I was willing to overlook them due to a fantastic hero (Thomas Montrose) and powerful emotional interactions between the H/H as well as memorable secondary characters. I'll keep it around a while I think.

Plus, this book introduces the hero from "All Through the Night" (Jack Seward) which I sought out several years ago because it's on AAR's Top 100 - I enjoyed it, but it didn't survive my last move. Might be worth a re-read if I'm in an angsty or dark mood. Reading "Promise Me Heaven" (and recently finding "As You Desire") makes me so sad Brockway is writing contemporary "women's fiction" rather than more historicals.